Health and nutrition in rehab
Addiction rehab is a transformative journey in more ways than one. While detox and therapy play critical roles in the process, the importance of proper nutrition cannot be overstated. Eating a balanced diet and making healthier lifestyle choices can profoundly improve your physical and mental health, and incorporating this into addiction treatment can significantly help your recovery.
Addiction and nutrition
Addiction can have a notable impact on your nutritional status. Substance abuse can interfere with the body’s ability to absorb and utilise essential nutrients, leading to deficiencies that can exacerbate health issues.
Let’s explore a few examples of how substance abuse and addiction can lead to nutrient deficiencies:
- Alcoholism: Heavy alcohol consumption can interfere with absorbing several essential nutrients and vitamins, including thiamine, magnesium and B vitamins. These deficiencies can lead to various health problems, including hypocalcemia, nerve damage and cognitive impairment.
- Opioid addiction: Opioids can cause digestive issues, such as constipation, leading to nutrient deficiencies. Using opioids may also result in decreased appetite, resulting in malnutrition.
- Stimulant addiction: Stimulants, such as cocaine and methamphetamine, can cause decreased appetite, leading to inadequate nutrient intake. Stimulant abuse can also cause gastrointestinal problems, such as ulcers, impairing nutrient absorption.
- Marijuana addiction: While marijuana use may not directly cause nutrient deficiencies, it can lead to poor dietary choices and an increased intake of processed foods, which can be low in essential nutrients.
Addressing any nutrient deficiencies in addiction rehab is essential to support the body’s healing process and improve overall health.
Recovering from the damage caused by substance addiction can be aided by adopting a well-balanced diet that supplies all the necessary vitamins and minerals.
Healthy eating and recovery
Addiction imposes a significant toll on the body and can lead to a number of health problems, including damage to the internal organs, gastrointestinal issues and a weakened immune system. However, a healthy diet can help to repair the body and restore optimal function.
As well as improving your physical health, some of the benefits of healthy eating during addiction recovery include:
- Shorter detox period and less intense withdrawal symptoms
- Stabilised mood and reduced mental health issues, including depression and anxiety
- Reduced risk of relapse and cravings due to the regulation of blood sugar levels
- Increased energy levels and better productivity
- Enhanced cognitive function, including memory and focus
- Reduced “brain fog” and a heightened sense of clarity
Most people know the benefits a nutritional diet can offer, but these are magnified when it comes to addiction treatment. By fuelling your body with healthy choices, you can boost your chances of a successful recovery.
What does Recovery Lighthouse offer?
Recovery Lighthouse offers two nutritious meals daily, plus a range of breakfast options each morning, to build strength and promote healing. Our onsite chefs prepare delicious food packed with vitamins and minerals, combining the perfect balance of protein, carbohydrates and healthy fats.
Mealtimes are scheduled at the same time each day as part of your planned timetable. Engaging in routine and structure like this is vital during recovery. Having predictability can reduce stress, instil healthy habits and prevent relapse in the long run.
A former client, Carl, reflects on his experience at our rehab centre, saying:
“[The] food was lovely, and your relationships with other people and the connections you make are very important.”
Every mealtime will take place in a group setting, inspiring a sense of community and allowing time to take your mind off the day’s emotional stresses. In addition, sharing meal times nurtures the bond between you and your peers in recovery, which means your support network grows.
Health and nutrition after rehab
Recovery Lighthouse wants to provide you with good food during your rehab treatment stay and encourage you to continue eating a healthy diet back home. For this reason, our staff are dedicated to teaching you the basic principles of good nutrition and maintaining a balanced diet after rehab.
A healthy diet aids short-term recovery by providing the body with the nutrients it needs to repair itself, but let’s not forget the importance of your long-term health. Making healthy choices once you leave rehab can help you stay on track and reach your goals.
We are here to help
Recovery Lighthouse is proud to offer health and nutrition as an integral part of our holistic treatment programme. After the devastation of addiction, you and your body deserve to be nourished and cared for, and we are here to support you every step of the way. If you are ready to embark on your journey to wellness and start thriving, contact our admissions team by phone or email. Let us help you nourish your body and fuel your recovery.