Addiction is a complex condition and something that cannot be overcome with willpower alone – it requires working on the way you think, feel and behave. Holistic therapy takes a comprehensive approach to recovery, treating you as a whole person, rather than just your addiction. Focusing on mind, body and spirit, the holistic treatment approach at Recovery Lighthouse promotes lasting healing and personal growth and can help to support a healthy lifestyle.
Holistic therapy for addiction
Addiction is not just a physical condition, and while initial detox is important, treatment will not be effective if underlying psychological and emotional aspects are not addressed. At its core, addiction is typically caused and exacerbated by past trauma, mental health issues and other negative emotions. Through holistic therapy, you will be able to pinpoint these issues and find healthier coping mechanisms.
Holistic therapy for addiction can help you to explore your values, beliefs and personal goals, and with such you will be able to gain a greater sense of clarity and direction. Finding purpose can help you to stay focused on your recovery, providing you with the motivation you need to stay committed to sobriety.
Holistic therapies at Recovery Lighthouse
Recovery Lighthouse offers a wide variety of holistic therapies for addiction, and these include:
- 12-step therapy: a 12-step process that provides a structured and clear outline for addiction recovery.
- Dialectical behavioural therapy (DBT): a therapeutic approach that concentrates on emotional regulation and stress management techniques.
- Mindfulness: a practice that shifts your focus to the present moment, with core principles of acknowledgement and acceptance.
- Music, drama and art therapy: a relaxing alternative to traditional talking therapies that uses music, drama or art as a means of self-expression and exploration.
- Group therapy: a community-based treatment that provides support, encouragement and accountability with others in recovery.
- Yoga and exercise: an opportunity to connect the mind and body through physical exercise, naturally boosting serotonin levels and improving mental health.
- Workshops: we offer a range of different workshops that can teach you skills and develop your communication and self-esteem.
Recovery Lighthouse is pleased to offer our clients these therapies as part of our inpatient rehab programme. Your recovery and well-being are at the forefront of everything we do, and with our assistance, you can achieve lasting sobriety.
What will I gain from holistic therapy?
Undergoing holistic therapy for addiction can give you freedom from drugs, alcohol or compulsive behaviours that are ruining your life. The benefits are vast, and some of these include:
- Reduced mental health issues
- Enhanced emotional well-being
- Better ability to cope with stress and triggers
- Improved physical health
- A deeper understanding of your inner self
- Ability to foster more meaningful relationships
- Increased confidence
- A sense of accomplishment
With holistic therapy for addiction, you can look forward to a life with purpose and optimism. Gaining a new-found insight into addiction will help you to change the negative thought cycles that keep you trapped in substance abuse, cope with any triggers and avoid relapse.
Getting the most out of holistic therapy
Getting the most out of your holistic therapy requires commitment, willingness and an open mind. There are some other things you can do to ensure your holistic therapy experience is successful, and these include:
- Set realistic goals: Recovery is not about perfection, but more about progress. It is important to focus on achievable goals that you can work towards throughout your journey.
- Be patient: There is no quick fix for addiction – change does not happen overnight, but it is vital that you stay committed to the process.
- Build a support network: Having supportive friends, family or others in recovery to turn to when you are facing challenges can really make a difference.
- Be willing to try new things: Holistic therapy gives you the opportunity to try new activities. It is important to stay open-minded so that you can discover what works for you and your recovery.
- Practice self-care: Making self-care a priority ensures that you are better equipped to manage the challenges of addiction recovery. You should eat a healthy diet, get plenty of sleep and take time to enjoy hobbies.
Rehab treatment can give you all of the resources and support you need to recover from addiction, but ultimately your success is down to your own hard work and dedication.
Healing from the inside out
Holistic therapy for addiction empowers you to take an active role in your recovery and regain control of your life by addressing underlying factors that are contributing to your substance use. If you have lost your way in addiction, Recovery Lighthouse can help you find your way to peace and wellness, helping you to tend to your emotional and spiritual needs.
True healing is more than just abstinence, it is about cultivating self-compassion and self-awareness. If you would like to learn more about holistic therapy for addiction, or if you are ready to start your journey, don’t hesitate to give our admissions team a call.